This is the finesse lure of the K9 range and is an impressive ‘walk the dog’ lure. Suitable in those glassed out conditions when the cunning angler needs to impart some stealth towards his super spooky prey. With its smaller prawn like profile the Pup can be walked, twitched or dead sticked in the path of a cruising and marauding fish. Deadly on bream and whiting, vary your retrieve until you fool the fish.
bream, bass, flathead and whiting
WHEN TO TIE ONE ON
Surface lures are ideal for the warmer months. Bream will readily hunt in the shallows and whiting will prowl sand banks in numbers looking for baitfish and prawns. In summer bass will also rise to any surface presentation. Target areas include weed beds, sand flats and even the shallows of estuaries or canal systems.
HOW TO USE
• Estuary outfits in maximum 4-10lb range will yield best results when casting. Braided lines with a mono leader will be best for this. Mono floats and will keep the lure on the surface.
• Use a loop knot for the best action. It allows the lure to swim freely.
• Over flats and areas where a long cast is necessary, a longer rod will help. Cast downwind and use the wind for that all important distance.
• Use plenty of pauses for bream and wind fast for whiting are the general rules. A pause for several seconds is not out of the question for bream.
THINK OUTSIDE THE SQUARE
• Learn how to walk the dog. This is a classic surface retrieve which involves wobbling the rod tip as you wind. This has the lure jerking from side to side.
• Fish are clumsy, so to improve your chances, change the rear treble for an Atomic assist hook or Gamakatsu Wide Gape treble.